Monday 20 April 2009

The Boy Who Blocked His Own Shot

So I don't quite know what to blog about... In fact, I am suffering from complete writer's block. I can't think of an ending to Jacky's story, I can't be bothered doing my contracts assignment which is due on Thursday, and I seem to be forgetting words.

To remedy this worrying situation, I have decided to try and cure my writer's block by writing about writer's block. At any rate, at least I will have something written...

Writer's block was first diagnosed in 1844 by Sir Anthony Block, who was a writer/doctor, although he had no formal medical qualifications. His field of expertise was self-diagnosis, and throughout his lifespan documented his suffering of tuberculosis, polio, rubella, influenza, writer's block, lime disease, skin failure and hypochondria. Born in 1811, he died in 1914 of what modern experts believe now to have been old age, although it was initially attributed to the latter three of the aforementioned conditions.

Blockologists - that is, those dedicated to studying the lifelong works of Sir Anthony Block - believe that Block would have been proud of today's trend of self-diagnosis (a trend largely attributed to the widespread use of the internet), declaring the imminent extinction of the general practitioner. Of course, this prediction has so far failed to come true, with firm believers in Blockism dying of undiagnosed illnesses at an alarming rate.

--

Ok, so I think I have just worked myself into a bit of form. I am off to prepare dinner and I will then proceed to getting work started on that pesky contracts assignment of mine.

From here I bid you adieu

Adieu

1 comment:

  1. bravo, you should be a professional wikipedia article writer. incidentally, i wonder if that would look good in a resume?

    ReplyDelete